Jubilating Jack

Hudson Highlands, looking south from Newburgh
Image by Daniel Case; licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.


Laudate, caeli, et exsulta, terra; jubilate, montes...
                                                --Isaiah 49:13a

Call me "Jubilating Jack." I'm joining the mountains in their rejoicing, the exulting earth and the heavens as they shout for joy!

Not only that, to jubilate oneself in Spanish means to retire* from work, which is where I am, as of TODAY! 

The Presbytery of New York City is designating me "Honorably Retired." They will recognize this fact at the meeting on Tuesday, June 4, at Broadway Presbyterian Church (601 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10025), and I will attend.  understand that JJ Marasigan will represent the Session in saying a few kind words about me. I'm honored! The docket has us scheduled for 4:15 PM.

As we used to say, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." By that I don't mean descanso. I mean that all of my future lies ahead of me.

Since I've been blogging since January, 2007 (the same month the first iPhone came out!) it's natural for me to continue doing so in retirement. I hope a few friends will join in to create a little conversation about the journey into retirement. It will encourage my soul to have some support in this new phase of my life!

--Jubilating Jack (J.J.)

PS: If you want to get email notices when I post something new, let me know at jacklohr@gmail.com

*--the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language explains that it's for reason of age or decrepitude, and connects it to the Biblical Jubilee which was supposed to happen in Ancient Israel every 50 years. (https://dle.rae.es/?id=MZ6ZvZa)

Comments